Overview:A miracle beverage, green tea has long been hailed for its health benefits. We’re all no doubt familiar with the wonders of green tea, from its antioxidant rich nature, to its metabolism boosting properties, but did you know that green tea is also very good for hair health? Yes, you read that right! Green tea is actually used as an active ingredient in a number of natural hair care products owing to the myriad of benefits it has on the hair. At Zeme Fresh, we too use green tea in our hair products, all of which show fantastic results. Let us explore the benefits of green tea for hair in more detail:
Benefits of Green Tea for Hair Growth
- Green Tea is rich in carotenoids, epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), tocopherols, zinc, ascorbic acid, and selenium present which encourage the growth of hair. EGCG in particular promotes hair growth by repairing damage to hair cells and by simulating the hair follicles.
- It is also rich in catechins, which are antioxidants that can fight and prevent cell damage. This, combined with the polyphenols, essential oils and caffeine present in the tea can work together to decrease DHT levels. DHT, or dihydrotestosterone, is a derivative of testosterone that can weaken, thin and shorten the lifespan of hair follicles, eventually killing them altogether.
- Green tea has antifungal and antibacterial properties that can treat dandruff-causing fungus that weaken your hair roots and cause hairfall.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of green tea help keep the scalp hydrated and soothes irritated follicles. It also helps soften the hair and control split ends, making hair shiny and lustrous.
- Vitamins B and C present in green tea can help protect the hair and scalp from damage.
- Green tea is widely known to help fight depression and control stress, which is why drinking green tea can help control hair loss by reducing stress levels.